The Q reflects the probability of your stake that can result in a loss. Therefore, as we have assumed that the chances of your stake to become a winner are 40%, then there is a chance of 60% for your stake to become a loss. This shows that football bettors may find out the probability of failure by subtracting the likelihood of success.

Read More From Betting Strategies

In the course of discussing the formula, the book takes you through the birth of the MIT blackjack team, the genesis of statistical arbitrage, and mini biographies of people like Claude Shannon and Ed Thorpe. Simply put, the poor can’t take many worthwhile risks (think college!) without rising ruin (and sub-optimal growth). Conversely, the rich can come closer to maximizing EV in many risky markets at once, increasing income and growth while even decreasing variance. Insurance in general has a reduced expected value while also hedging against downside risk. Does Kelly work when “ruin” is not such a clear cut permanent barrier? I can be “ruined” today but have more money next payday.

How To Make Your Own Kelly Calculator In Excel

Thus, informative post the Kelly Criterion suggests that the investor should bet 30% of their bankroll on Player 2. The Kelly Criterion is a purely mathematical system, and should be able to be tested to see if it is profitable in the long run. Even so, many wonder how an equation originally developed for telephone systems can be effective when used in investing. This system, which also goes by the name Kelly Formula, Kelly Strategy, and Kelly Bet is a way to manage money effectively by following a set of rules.

Tips For Turning A Profit

Let’s try to calculate is your ‘edge’ and your ‘odds’. Extending Kelly a bit further (like Ed Thorp, author of two math bibles for the investor/bettor Beat the Dealer and Beat the Market, has done) we can do a bit of hand-waving and make it work for the stock market. I honestly think that bets of true edge are very, very rare, except for in areas that we have firsthand knowledge or experience.


Even though betting may be a favourite pastime for many, it happens to be a serious business for experienced to punters. This formula needs to be applied within the Excel sheet and it is to be repeated for the second Kelly stake. Now, merely entering the outcome, odds, and the probability of occurrence will provide a Kelly stake number. It is recommended to try out a criterion example before using the spreadsheet for actual betting purposes. Thus, if we take as an example a toss of a coin, making a stake on either heads or tails comes with 50% chances of turning out to be a winning one, meaning that the implied probability would stand at 0.50.

Three Disadvantages With The Kelly Criterion

At more than 3x leverage, the winning bet becomes a losing strategyAt small bet sizes, the profit grows with leverage in an almost one-to-one relationship. But as leverage increases, the marginal profit shrinks and eventually turns negative. Start with $100, each time bet 1% of current net worthThis strategy makes a nice return over time, with a bit of volatility. After 1,000 hands, the gambler has increased his wealth by 44%. So in this example, applying a Half Kelly staking strategy would recommend betting 1% of our bankroll on this particular bet. So if our bankroll is £1000, then our stake should be £10.

From January’s billion-dollar US Powerball jackpot to the record prize in the UK Lotto, people want to know what their chances are, and how they can be improved. At first glance, such calculations might seem like a matter of straightforward probability. But as we delve further into lottery strategy, the questions involved become more interesting—and far trickier. To avoid degenerate solutions, we assume that the expected value of the gamble is positive and at least one of the outcomes is negative. As your betting models improve, and your edge becomes more apparent incorporating Kelly like principles will help maximize profits. So with your $5000 bankroll you would start the season betting $100 a game (2%).

If your salary from work is $50,000 per year, we would obviously like to budget and make that $50,000 work best it can. After all, budgeting enables you to generate a solid spending plan for the money you’ve earned. Which shows that we should be betting 20% of the bankroll for the 60% chance of winning case, which is exactly the same as the python code determined. That 10% number is suspiciously the same as the amount of advantage that you have in the game, i.e. the difference between 55% win rate and 45% loss rate.